Kindly be informed that those driving license holders who wish to change their address details on the Driving License System are being asked to visit the offices of Transport Malta personally either at A3 Towers, Arcade Street, Paola or Pantar Road, Lija and present their Identity Card. No change of address is permissible to be effected online.
How do I renew my driving license?
You can renew your current Maltese Driving License online if you:
  • Have a Maltese Driving License that has expired or is going to expire on your birthday.
  • Are a resident of Malta.
  • Are currently not prevented from driving for any reason whatsoever.
  • Have a valid Maltese identity card.
  • Can provide address as your valid identity card.
  • Have an eID registration and are registered for this service.
If you have a paper license

The Licensing and Testing Directorate will need a photograph and your signature for your new license and will aim to electronically capture them from the eID. If this isn't possible, you'll need to print, fill in and send a completed form by post enclosing a photograph, cheque payment and your signature. A form of identification is also needed, in this case, a photocopy of your ID card would be sufficient.

If you have a photocard license

If the Licensing and Testing Directorate aren't able to verify your identity online, you'll need to print, fill in and send a completed form by post, enclosing a photograph, cheque payment and your signature.

What you need to know?
  • If you already have an eID, simply enter it with your password.
  • If you are 70 years of age or over, and your licence is about to expire, you will receive a renewal form by LTD requesting a Medical Certificate and payment for 5 years.
Apply online for an International Driving Permit
The international Permit is only needed for non European Countries.
What do I need to do if I want to drive abroad?

If you hold a driving license issued in Malta or in any EU member state, you may drive in all EU countries, provided that your license is valid and that you only drive the category of vehicles that you are entitled to.

However, if you wish to drive in a non-EU country, that is party to the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, it is advisable that you obtain an International Driving Permit. This permit is issued for one (1) year from date of issue, on the presentation of a valid license issued either in Malta or in an EU member state.

You will be required to produce a completed application:

  • your identity card
  • two passport-sized photographs

The driving permit is issued against a fee.